Saturday 27 November 2010

3 Months Have Passed... Time Flies When You're Pissed...

Good evening! (Or at least it will be by the time I finish this as I've potentially got a lot to write about - Time now is 16:09). I know where to start with this one...

Uni! - Obviously I've started Uni now, going to update stuff from my last post first: Accommodation - I moved into my accommodation all right (After a mix-up was resolved). I said in my last post that I was in the 10th flat on the 11th floor, well there was a mix-up and I was actually in the 13th flat on the 11th floor - So my then 'new flatmate' (Hazel's her name, I forgot to mention) wasn't actually going to be my flatmate after all but at least I was only 3 flats away so I could meet her. And I have a number of times (A majority of them drunk, but that's Uni for you. There are photos on Facebook if you wish to have a gander). Also, she's now the singer in a band I've set up with my friend off my course (Michael) and friend from school (Gareth) (They happen to be cousins... Coincidence?... Yes). So, basically, I was moving into this flat without knowing anyone in advance... I was kinda nervous that I'd get unsociable flatmates, but I luckily didn't pick the short straw. I don't really know why I used that expression as the people in the other flat are just as nice as my flatmates. One thing I've noticed also is that the people in my flat and Hazel's flat have similar roles: There are two girls that get on really well and are on the course (Beth and Hayley, Vikki and Hazel), there's the funny 'man of the house' guy who'll look after his flatmates (Ryan, Rich), there's a girl that we don't see that much of (Steph, Sarah) and the quiet guy that comes out of his shell once you get to know him and also the other flatmates will go into his room if he hasn't been out for a while (Me, Leon) (Also, kinda strange thing, it was me and Leon that were involved in the flat mix-up).
My flatmates are very sociable and will come into my room if I haven't been out for a couple of hours. There's Hayley (From Surrey) in room A, Steph (From Merthyr) in C, Ryan (From Cheltenham) in D and Beth (From Bristol) in E (I'm in B in case you didn't figure that out). Beth and Hayley are like a troublesome two-some but not that troublesome, but they'll embarrass me about the girl I like (That was before I started going out with her, now I couldn't care =P) and stuff like that. Ryan and I get on quite well, but his sarcasm can be a little annoying at times. Steph's nice but we don't see her that often as she works weekends back in Merthyr, so our first weekend here was just me, Ryan, Beth and Hayley, and we got on really well, so when Steph came back from working on the weekend she felt a bit left out as the four of us had already bonded quite well.
My course at Uni's going quite well, apart from my brain doesn't really work that well with the Musical Cultures and The History Of Popular Music And The Recording Industry modules as it's mainly sociological and historical. Some bits are interesting but the essays are rather boring, I'm just a guitarist =P. I also can't do the Music Technology module assignments that well (My A level results express how good I am at Music Technology - E). The other five modules are pretty good, enjoying the ensemble studies as we're currently practising to perform 5 songs (Sunburn by Muse, Reptilia by The Strokes, Slow Dancing In A Burning Room by John Mayer, Are You In? by incubus and Harder To Breathe by Maroon 5) on the 17th of December. The Music Theory module is piss easy so far, we haven't done anything that I didn't know already from doing guitar grades (Mainly Grade 8 though). Instrumental studies starts after Christmas. Arranging Techniques is good as it's like a puzzle in musical form of having to fill in the blanks in bars with the appropriate rest or note and transposition and stuff, nothing really new yet either, but it's good. Arranging Techniques is pretty good as we're being taught how to write music for different instruments like Trumpet, Saxophone, Harmonica and so on.
The guys in my ensemble group are pretty cool - Michael (Great drummer, he's the guy I've set the band up with), Mike (He has an 8-string guitar... I want one ¬¬), Ethan (Great singer) and Benji (Incredible pianist and bass player). They're good guys, I hang out with Benji and Michael between lectures and shizz, normally go to the SU for chips and a pint in our break on Tuesdays. I'm known as BURT by these guys since an ensemble practice when Ethan set up a microphone and just shouted "BURT!" into it and also randomly during the 2 hour practice.
I think that's a majority of Uni covered, besides the cooking which is going all right... Considering I'm a student.

Off the top of my head not much else has happened really. Apart from I've now got a girlfriend, my 19th birthday was on Sunday (There's nothing different to being 18), had a new phone for my birthday which was good as my old phone was screwing up in the last couple of weeks, including losing all signal for 6 hours during the day even though the mast is about 200 metres away from my flat and Uni, as my Uni's across the road from my accommodation (In fact I can see the mast from where I'm sat right now).
I can't really think of anything else to add to this, apart from - I now have my banjo and I'm also hoping to get an 8-string guitar for Christmas. So I shall leave you with all this new information... Unless you're Hazel, Michael, Ryan, Bowen or Jade as I've probably told you or you just knew anyway =P. And I shall leave you with this picture to sum up the first week or two of Uni for you:

Goodbye avid reader!
See you in another 3 months.

1 comment:

  1. you should blog more often.
    (ignore the fact my last blog was march, that fact isn't important.) ;D x

    ReplyDelete